Mac and Cheese: Bacon, Ranch, and Chicken
- ◦8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- ◦1 slice applewood-smoked bacon
- ◦8 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- ◦1 tablespoon butter
- ◦1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ◦1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- ◦1/3 cup condensed 45% reduced-sodium 98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- ◦3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded six-cheese Italian blend (such as Sargento)
- ◦1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- ◦1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ◦1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- ◦1/2 teaspoon salt
- ◦Cooking spray
- ◦1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded colby-Jack cheese
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain.
Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings in pan. Finely chop bacon; set aside. Increase heat to medium-high. Add chicken to drippings in pan; sauté 6 minutes or until done.
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; sprinkle flour evenly into pan. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk. Combine milk and soup, stirring with a whisk; gradually add milk mixture to saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat; let stand 4 minutes or until sauce cools to 155°. Add Italian cheese blend, onion powder, garlic powder, dill, and salt, stirring until cheese melts. Stir in pasta and chicken.
Spoon mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with reserved bacon and colby-Jack cheese. Broil 3 minutes or until cheese melts.