Raspberry-Almond Coffee Cake
- Crunch Topping
- 1/2 cup (from an 18.25-oz. box) classic white cake mix
- 1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 3 T cold butter, cut in small pieces
- 3/4 cup whole almonds (with skin), coarsely chopped
- Remaining classic white cake mix
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 t almond extract
- 1/2 pt. (6 oz) fresh raspberries
- Garnish: confectioners' sugar
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 20mins
Adapted from womansday.com
1. Heat oven to 325. Lightly coat a 9-in. springform pan with nonstick spray.
2. Topping: Put first 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Cut with pastry blender until mixture resembles small peas. Stir in almonds.
3. Cake: In large bowl with mixer on low speed beat remaining cake mix and next 4 ingredients 1 minutes to blend. On medium speed, beat 2 minutes (mixture is very thick). Fold in berries; spread in prepared pan. Press topping into a ball between hands. Break off small clumps; sprinkle evenly over cake. Press lightly.
4. Bake 1 hour 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean (cake settles in center. That's ok.).
5. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Run a thin knife around edge of pan; remove pan sides. Loosen cake from pan bottom with a wide spatula; slide cake onto serving plate. Dust with confectioners' sugar.