Pepperoni Corn Bread
- 1/2 bunch green onions
- 1/2 pound piece pepperoni from deli
- salad oil
- 2-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 T baking powder
- 2 t salt
- 1 t baking soda
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups milk
1. Preheat oven to 400. Line 13x9 metal baking pan with foil; grease foil.
2. Chop green onions and pepperoni.
3. In small skillet over medium-high heat, in 1 T hot salad oil, cook green onions until tender but not browned.
4. In large bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. In medium bowl, with wire whisk or fork, beat eggs, milk, and 1/3 cup salad oil until blended. Stir milk mixture, pepperoni and green onions into cornmeal mixture just until dry ingredients are moistened.
5. Spread batter evenly in pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes until golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cut corn bread lengthwise into 3 strips, then cut each strip crosswise into 5 pieces. Serve warm. Or, cool in pan on wire rack to serve later; reheat if desired.