- 10 slices whole-wheat bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
- 1/2 lb. sweet sausage, casing removed
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery, trimmed and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 t each chopped sage, thyme and rosemary
- 1/4 t each salt and pepper
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 15mins
Adapted from familycircle.com
1. Heat oven to 350. Spread bread cubes onto two large baking sheets. Toast at 350 for 15 minutes and transfer to a large bowl.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Crumble sausage into pan, breaking apart with a spoon. Cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in apple, onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Reduce heat to medium and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth, sage, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. Heat through, about 3 minutes. Pour over bread cubes and stir gently to moisten.
4. Loosely pack stuffing into turkey before roasting, placing excess in a small covered dish. Or spoon all stuffing into a 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes, uncovering for last 5 minutes to crisp top, if desired.