Cheddar Potato Bread
- 2 cups cubed baking potato
- 1 pkg dry yeast
- 1 teas sugar
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 teas salt
- 1 teas dry mustard
- 1/4 teas ground red pepper
- cooking spray
- 1/2 cup diced sharp cheddar cheese
1. Cook potato in boiling water 10 min. or until very tender. Drain potato in a colander over a bowl,, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid. mash potato with a fork until smooth. Cool cooking liquid to 100 to 110. Dissolve yeast and sugar in cooled cooking liquid in a alrge bowl; let stand 5 min. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cupsl level with a knife. Add 2 1/2 cups flour, mashed potato, 3/4 cup shredded cheese, oil, salt, mustard, and pepepr to yeast mixture; stir until well blended.
2. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic; add 1/2 cup flour, 1 tblsp at a time to prevent dough from sticking to hands. Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover dough, and let rise ina warm place, free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in size. Punch dough down. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup diced cheese. Knead dough until cheese is well blended and add enough of remaining flour, 1 tblsp at a time to rpevent the dough from sticking to hands. Roll into a 14x7 inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Roll up the rectangle tightly starting with a shot edge, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets, and pinch seam and ends to sel. Place roll, seam side down, in a 9x5 inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise 40 minutes or until doubled in size.
3. Preheat over to 375. Uncover dough. Bake at 375 for 55 minutes or until loaf is browned on the top and sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pan; cool on a wire rack.