Soups - Mushroom, Beef and Barley Soup
- 1/2 lb. sirloin steak, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 (12 oz) package of mushrooms, coursely chopped
- 1/2 cup uncooked barley
- 1 (10 1/2 oz) can fat-free lower-sodium beef broth
- 5 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt (Kosher salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped Swiss Chard (Optional) (I omitted this)
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add beef and saute until brown. Add onion and carrots; saute about 7 minutes. Add mushrooms, cook about 8 minutes.
2. Add barley, broth, water, salt, and pepper; stir to combine. Bring to a boil; reduce hyeat and summer 40 minutes or until barley is tender. Stir in Swiss Chard (if used) and cook 5 minutes. Makes about 6 cups.
296 calories per serving, 12 grams of fat; 31 mg cholesterol, 21 grams protein, 28 grams carbs, 7 grams fiber and 933 mg of sodium.