Mrs. Floyd's Divinity Candy
This recipe for divinity comes with some extra tips to make it perfect! And, always delicious. Switch up the nuts to a different kind, if you'd like.
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans.
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 95mins
Cook first 4 ingredients in a heavy 2 quart saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves and a candy thermometer registers 248°F (about 15 minutes). Remove syrup mixture from heat. Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Pour half of hot syrup in a thin stream over egg whites, beating constantly at high speed, about 5 minutes.
Cook remaining half of syrup over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until a candy thermometer registers 272°F (about 4 to 5 minutes). Slowly pour hot syrup and vanilla extract over egg white mixture, beating constantly at high speed until mixture holds its shape (about 6 to 8 minutes). Stir in 1 cup chopped pecans. Drop mixture quickly by rounded teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased wax paper. Garnish on top with pecan halves if desires. Yield: 4 dozen
Tips to make perfect Divinity:
- The syrup mixture should bubble on the surface. Be sure to keep an eye on the thermometer because the temperature of the syrup rises quickly.
- The process used when beating egg whites is as important as cooking recipes at the proper temperature. Star with a clean bowl. Any greasy residue in the bowl can reduce the volume of beaten egg whites. When egg whites are beaten properly, stiff peaks with form.
- Pour in the syrup mixture in a slow, steady stream, beating constantly.
- Use a butter wrapper to lightly grease wax paper. Get a partner, and you both should use two teaspoons to drop the candy, dipping from the bottom of the bowl and working gradually to the top. (The candy starts to harden first from the bottom of the bowl.)
You'll also love
- Saltine Toffee 4.5/5 (137 Votes)
- Christmas Style Pretzel M&M Hugs 4.3/5 (145 Votes)
- Maggiano's New York Style... 3.7/5 (86 Votes)
- Bacon-Bourbon Apple Pie 3.6/5 (28 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Mexican Pot Roast 3.9/5 (7 Votes)
- Boston Market's Squash Casserole 4.2/5 (12 Votes)
- Pineapple Ham Loaf 4.2/5 (6 Votes)
- Low-Carb Poppy Seed Dressing 4.2/5 (5 Votes)