Skinny Chicken and Dumplings
This old classic is sure to please, but without all the extra fat and calories!
Nutritional Content 1 serving – 1 cup
Calories: 145 Total Fat: 5 gm Saturated Fats: 1 gm Trans Fats: 0 gm Cholesterol: 27 mg Sodium: 269 mg Carbohydrates: 12 gm Dietary fiber: 2 gm Sugars: 2 gm Protein: 14 gm
- This old classic is sure to please, but without all the extra fat and calories!
- Nutritional Content 1 serving – 1 cup
- Calories: 145 Total Fat: 5 gm Saturated Fats: 1 gm Trans Fats: 0 gm Cholesterol: 27 mg Sodium: 269 mg Carbohydrates: 12 gm Dietary fiber: 2 gm Sugars: 2 gm Protein: 14 gm
- Stew Ingredients
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth (no sugar/dextrose added)
- 1 tbsp. marjoram
- 1 tbsp.. garlic powder
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts – cut into small chunks
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion – peeled and diced
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 stalks celery, cleaned and sliced
- Dumpling Ingredients
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tbsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup milk (any milk you typically use is fine. I currently use unsweetened almond milk.)
2.Step 1 – Pour the broth into your slow cooker.
Step 2 – Add the marjoram and garlic powder to the broth and turn the slow cooker to high.
4.Step 3 – In a pan, combine the olive oil, onion, carrots and celery. Saute until the onions are translucent. 5.Step 4 – Add the veggies and cut up chicken to the slow cooker.6.DUMPLINGDIRECTIONS
7.Step 1 – In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Whisk to blend well.
8.Step 2 – Pour in the oil and milk and mix with a wooden spoon.9.Step 3 – (Be sure the broth is hot before adding the dumplings to the pot) Using two teaspoons, scoop up and round off your dumplings and scrap into your pot. (Just like making drop cookies)
10.I cooked this on high for about 3-1/2 hours. But if you need to cook it longer because you are leaving for the day (or cooking overnight), turn the crock pot to low and cook until the dumplings and chicken are cooked through. (My guess is about 4-6 hours). It’s important to know how your slow cooker cooks here. Every slow cooker is slightly different. 11.Also, the dumplings will look a little odd after they have been cooking at the top of the stew all day. They create a sort of “crust-like” cover. Just break them up with a wooden spoon and stir them into the stew to finish cooking. Simply break one open to be sure it’s cooked all the way through.