Skinny Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1 lb chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 1 package frozen broccoli, broken apart
- 1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup
- 2 tablespoons fat free mayo
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled crackers (optional)
Adapted from keyingredient.com
1. You need to cook your chicken and cut it into bite sized(ish) pieces - this is how I do it. Some people boil or bake, but for this recipe I cut mine up (with scissors!) and brown in a skillet. It's just faster, and with an 18-month old screaming for dinner, speed is key. Any method will work though. Do what it is best for you.
2. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Yes, I use scissors (these are chicken specific scissors to avoid contamination). I use scissors to cut virtually everything. Even pizza. I can thank my mom for that.
3. Place pieces of chicken in your skillet and cook until there is no more pink in the centers. This is clearly over one pound of chicken. Boneless/Skinless breasts always seem to come in two poundish sized packages so I cook the entire amount and freeze half so I can skip this step next time
4. In a small baking dish combine 2 tablespoons of light mayo
5. One can of reduced fat cream of mushroom soup. (There is no possible way to get a picture of this that doesn't look like a blob coming out of a can, I'll spare ya)
6. a bag of frozen broccoli
7. a 1/2 cup shredded cheese
8. one pound of cooked bite-sized chicken
9. Mix everything together and level. Be careful mixing, your dish will be pretty full. But I'd rather be careful mixing than dirty another a dish I'll have to clean!
10. Now, this next step is optional - but I did it once and it stuck. If you have any sort of crackers crumble about 1/4 cup over the top of the mixture to add some crunch. In this case, I had reduced fat cheese-its on hand.
11. bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes