Chicken Curry without Coconut Milk
Chicken Curry without Coconut Milk is great served with condiment choices and a green salad.
- 1 cup regular or low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons corn oil or olive oil, divided
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose white flour
- 1 can (8 ounce) Tomato sauce
- 3 1/2 cups Cooked basmati or other rice
- Assorted Dried and fresh fruit and nuts for garnishes, (peanuts, cashews, almond, pineapple chunks, dried cranberries, raisins, green onions)
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 35mins
In a medium-sized bowl make a seasoning paste by stirring together 2 tablespoons broth, 1 tablespoon curry powder, the thyme, and salt.
Stir in chicken until coated; let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
In a 12-inch nonstick skillet or sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.
Add onion and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
Stir flour into chicken mixture until evenly incorporated.
Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, the chicken pieces and any remaining seasoning mixture to skillet.
Adjust heat so chicken sears and cooks rapidly but does not burn.
Cook, turning frequently, until browned on all sides, about 5 to 8 minutes.
Stir the remaining chicken broth, tomato sauce and 1 1/2 tablespoons more curry powder into skillet.
Lower heat; simmer gently. Cook, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes longer, until flavors blend and mixture cooks down a bit.
Taste and add more salt if desired. Spoon curry over hot rice and serve. Pass assorted curry garnishes at the table.
You'll also love
- Easy Chicken Masala 4.7/5 (15 Votes)
- Butter Chicken 4.5/5 (21 Votes)
- Lasagna, Prince Pasta Recipe 3.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Easy Chicken Pasta 3.3/5 (4 Votes)
- BBQ Shredded Chicken | Stupid Easy... 3/5 (4 Votes)
- Pressure Cooker Chicken Adobo 2.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Grilled Maple Syrup Teriyaki... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chinese Peanut Chicken 0/5 (0 Votes)