Old Family Favourite!
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large onion sliced and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 package sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 pounds round steak, trimmed of fat and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cube or packet of Beef Bouillon
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons Lea and Perrins
- 1 small tin tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dill seed (optional)
- 1 container (500g) sour cream
- Rice or Broad Noodles
Saute round steak, onions and mushrooms in margarine and shortening until steak is well browned. Lift ingredients from pot and put in a separate bowl. In a measuring cup, add the beef bouillon to the boiling water. Add flour to pot and stir until smooth. Add boiling water/beef bouillon mixture to the pot and stir until smooth again using a whisk. Add Lea and Perrins, bay leaf, dill seed and tomato paste. Add meat, onions and mushrooms to pot. Cover. Cook over low heat for at least 1 hour. At this point, the mixture may be cooled and frozen.
Prepare rice. Ten minutes before serving, add the sour cream to the stroganoff mixture. Serve over rice.