Curried Pork with Vindaloo
From a Penzey's catalog
- 1 lb boneless pork tenderloin cut into 1/2" to 1" cubes
- 2-3 Tb. VINDALOO SEASONING
- 1/4 cup malt or cidar vinegar
- 1 tsp. kosher flake salt
- 2 TB. canola oil or ghee
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves fresh garlic or 1 tsp. MINCED GARLIC
- 2/3 cup unsweetened coconut milk (a light one with less fat works.
- sour cream (optional)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 35mins
Mix together the vindaloo, malt vinegar and salt into a paste and set aside.
In a large pot, heat the oil or ghee over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic (if using fresh garlic) and lightly brown. Add the vindaloo paste and stir for about 3-5 minutes. A lot of the vinegar will evaoporate, thickening and stiffening the paste, which flavors the oil. Add the meat, stirring to cover it with the paste and searing it for about 2 minutes. Add the coconut milk and garlic (if using dried garlic) and stir to deglaze the pot. Reduce the heat to a low simmer and stir occasionally until the meat is cooked and tender, about 7-10 minutes. Serve over jasmine or brown rice.
Cut heat with sour cream, if necessary