Bananas Foster Bread Pudding with Dark Rum Custard Sauce
- 1 (1-pound) loaf Hawaiian sweet bread, crusts removed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted 11/2 cups milk
- 11/2 cups heavy cream 11/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1 tablespoon banana liqueur
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 medium bananas, mashed with fork 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 recipe Dark Rum Custard Sauce (recipe follows)
- Garnish: banana slices, chopped pecans
0 Preheat oven to 350°. Grease 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
n rut brad into 1/2-inch cubes; place in large bowl. Toss bread with melted butter. In large saucepan, combine milk, cream, sugar, dark rum, banana liqueur, and vanilla extract. Bring to simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves. Whisking constantly until smooth, slowly add eggs to hot milk mixture; stir in bananas and pecans. Pour custard mixture over bread; let stand 10 minutes.
0 Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and place in second larger pan. Pour enough hot water into larger pan to reach halfway up sides of baking dish. Bake 30 minutes; loosely cover with foil and bake 30 additional minutes, or until custard is set and bread is golden brown. Cool 30 to 40 minutes. Using 2-inch round cutter, cut 12 puddings and remove to serving plate. Serve warm with Dark Rum Custard Sauce. Garnish with banana slices and chopped pecans, if desired.