Banana poe (Tahitian banana pudding)
- 2 2/3 lbs bananas, ripe (about 5 large bananas)
- 1/2 vanilla bean (seeds only or vanilla powder or extract)
- 6 cups water
- 3/4 cup manioc starch (can substitute cornstarch)
- 1 cup coconut milk or 1 cup light cream
- 2/3 cup sugar (the riper the banana you begin with the less sugar you need)
Adapted from food.com
Boil the bananas in the skin for about 15 minutes.
When the bananas have cooked, peel and puree with in a food processor. Add the starch, sugar, and vanilla into the mix. Mix thoroughly so that the mixture is smooth and creamy. Fill a buttered casserole dish with the poe, and place in a 300 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Remove poe from oven and cut into small pieces. Serve with the coconut milk or cream.