Basic Vegan Ground Beef
- 1/2 cup TVP
- 2 to 3 cups water
- 3 to 4 tablespoons Bragg's liquid aminos or soy sauce, divided
- 2 to 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- couple shakes liquid smoke, optional
1. Place dry TVP in a skillet and cover with water and about 2 tablespoons Bragg's liquid aminos or soy sauce. The water should completely submerge the TVP.
2. Cook over low-medium heat until the water is completely absorbed. Add the oil, seasonings, remaining Bragg's, and liquid smoke, if desired.
3. Fry over low-medium heat until the chunks are firm and the mixture resembles ground beef. Stir occasionally to make sure that it cooks evenly and does not stick.
The same method should work for any amount of TVP, just keep in mind that it will double/triple in size once the water is added.
Source of recipe: My husband has been making this TVP ground beef for years. We often use it as the basis for meaty pasta sauce but it is versatile and can be used anywhere you'd traditionally use ground beef.
Makes: Approximately 2 cups ground beef, Preparation time: 5 minutes, Cooking time: 30-45 minutes