Cranberry Sauce Bread
A quick bread using leftover holiday cranberry relish.
Some alterations that might be fun: add a little more cranberry relish to increase tartness or change up the spices.
- Cranberry Relish:
- 1 bag of cranberries (10-12 ounces, 4 cups), washed
- 2 small oranges, quartered, seeded (can be peeled or unpeeled)
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped nuts--pecans or walnut work well
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cranberry relish (see below for recipe)
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon
- 5 Tablespoons orange juice
- 1/8 cup sugar
Put cranberries and oranges in a food processor, chop until in small chunks.
Add sugar, mix well.
Chill at least 1 hour in the refrigerator.
(Amount of sugar can be altered to increase or lessen tartness, but wait for the hour in the fridge to test.)
Preheat oven to 325 degree. Butter and flour a loaf pan.
Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in one bowl and set aside. Cream butter and sugar together. Add in the cranberry relish, eggs and vanilla. Add in the flour mixture. Add in the milk as well as the nutmeg, and cinnamon.
Pour mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove from oven and let rest in the pan for 10 minutes.
While the loaf is cooling in the pan, boil the orange juice and sugar until the sugar is dissolved. (I approximated here because I wanted a less sugary and more orangey taste. But the glaze doesn't shine without the sugar. You can play with this to your liking.)
Remove the loaf to a rack or platter and poke the top with a toothpick all over. Spoon the orange glaze over the loaf and let cool completely.
You'll also love
- Cedar Creek Inn Coconut Supreme... 3.9/5 (20 Votes)
- Panera / Saint Louis Bread Co's... 3.8/5 (34 Votes)
- Baked Garlic Lemon Pickerel 3.3/5 (120 Votes)
- Best Damn Blueberry Muffin You'll... 4/5 (5 Votes)
- Cranberry Taco Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)
Review this recipe