White Sandwich Bread
Nothing beats the smell of fresh hot bread in the oven. Serve warm with plenty of butter.
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 2 teaspoon active Red Star dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
Preparation time 100mins
Cooking time 140mins
Adapted from roxanashomebaking.com
In a bowl, add the water, yeast and teaspoon of sugar. Stir to combine and leave at room temperature for about 5 to10 minutes until doubled in volume.
In a mixing bowl sift the 3 cups of flour and make a well in the middle.
Pour the yeast mixture into the flour well. Add the egg, sugar, salt and melted butter.
With the dough hook on, start mixing adding the milk, and slowly adding the remaining flour until the dough forms a soft and elastic ball.
Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature for about 1 hour or until doubled in volume.
When the dough has risen, punch it down and shape it into a log. Place it into a 9X5-inch greased baking pan, cover and let rest again at room temperature for another 30 minutes.
In the meantime, heat the oven to 375°F.
Bake the bread for about 30 minutes until golden brown and the smell of fresh bread takes over your kitchen.
Leave to cool slightly in the pan before removing it and completely before slicing it.
You'll also love
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (898 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Jalapeno Popper Spread 4.5/5 (685 Votes)
- Snickerdoodle Bread 4.5/5 (452 Votes)
- Breakfast Pockets 4.5/5 (241 Votes)
- Strawberry Coconut Chia Seed... 4.5/5 (210 Votes)
- Golden Corral Rolls 4.4/5 (172 Votes)
- Buttered Rosemary Rolls 4.6/5 (102 Votes)