Basic White Bread
This recipe makes 8 loaves of bread, so you can enjoy the taste and texture of homemade bread for a while. Wrap well in plastic wrap and foil and it freezes nicely.
This was Mom's everyday bread.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lard
- 2 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart scalded milk
- 1 quart boiling water
- 3 packages dry yeast
- 1/3 cup lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 25 to 30 cups flour
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 360mins
In a large bowl combine sugar, lard and salt; stir in milk and water. Cool to lukewarm.
Dissolve yeast in water with sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add to cooled mixture; mix well.
Gradually stir in flour until mixture is stiff. Work in remaining flour with hands. Let stand 5 minutes. Knead for 10 minutes.
Place in greased bowl, grease top lightly; cover with warm damp cloth. Let rise until double, about 4 hours. Punch down, form into 8 loaves. Let rise until double, about 1 hour.
Bake at 350°F for 30 to 35 minutes.
You'll also love
- Whole Roasted Cauliflower with... 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- Old Fisherman’s Grotto Monterey... 4.1/5 (57 Votes)
- Traditional Christmas Fudge 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownie Bars 4.7/5 (9 Votes)
- Banana Nut Chocolate Chip Muffins 4.7/5 (9 Votes)
- Carrot Cake Mini Muffins 4.7/5 (9 Votes)
- Blueberry Sweet Potato Bread 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Slow-Braised Atlanta Brisket 4.6/5 (11 Votes)