Basic White Bread
This recipe makes 8 loaves of bread, so you can enjoy the taste and texture of homemade bread for a while. Wrap well in plastic wrap and foil and it freezes nicely.
This was Mom's everyday bread.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lard
- 2 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart scalded milk
- 1 quart boiling water
- 3 packages dry yeast
- 1/3 cup lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 25 to 30 cups flour
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 360mins
In a large bowl combine sugar, lard and salt; stir in milk and water. Cool to lukewarm.
Dissolve yeast in water with sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add to cooled mixture; mix well.
Gradually stir in flour until mixture is stiff. Work in remaining flour with hands. Let stand 5 minutes. Knead for 10 minutes.
Place in greased bowl, grease top lightly; cover with warm damp cloth. Let rise until double, about 4 hours. Punch down, form into 8 loaves. Let rise until double, about 1 hour.
Bake at 350°F for 30 to 35 minutes.
You'll also love
- Whole Roasted Cauliflower with... 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Banana Pudding Cupcakes 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- General Tso's Chick Peas, Vegan, &... 4.6/5 (21 Votes)
- Turkey Breast with Spinach-Feta... 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- Chocolate Black Bean Blender... 4.2/5 (12 Votes)
- Apple & Cinnamon Muffins with a... 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Classic Dinner Rolls 4.5/5 (24 Votes)
- Peanut Butter Cream Filled Donuts 4.4/5 (25 Votes)