Applesauce Drop Doughnuts
Quick & easy to make. You can have the batter whipped up in the amount of time it takes for the oil to heat.
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1/4 cup milk or 1/4 cup buttermilk
- oil (for frying)
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 20mins
Adapted from food.com
* In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
* Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
* Beat in applesauce and vanilla.
* Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk (batter will be extremely thick).
* In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°F.
* Drop teaspoonfuls of batter a few at a time into hot oil.
* Turn with a slotted spoon and fry until golden, about 1 minute on each side.
* Drain on paper towels; roll in sugar while warm.
You'll also love
- Panna Cotta with Grand Marnier... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Greek Zucchini Fritters... 4.4/5 (12 Votes)
- Moist Banana Bread Bars with... 4.3/5 (26 Votes)
- Mile High Apple Pie 4.3/5 (31 Votes)
Review this recipe