MUSTARDY MAC AND CHEESE (AND CAULIFLOWER)
- 4 ounces low carb penne pasta (I like Dreamfields Pasta Healthy Carb Living Elbow Macaroni)
- 1 medium head cauliflower cut into florets
- 1/2 cup plain unsweetened soy milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (3 cups)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter at room temperature
Adapted from atkins.com
Prepare penne according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Meanwhile steam cauliflower in a steamer basket over boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Whisk soy milk, cream, eggs, salt and cayenne in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, stir in cheese and mustard. Set over medium heat.
Add pasta, cauliflower and butter. Cook, stirring constantly until sauce becomes smooth and thick, about 5 minutes. Meantime, heat broiler and place a rack in middle of the oven.
Transfer the pasta mixture from the saucepan to a 8 inch square or 9 inch round ovenproof dish. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes, just until a crust develops. Serve immediately.