Broccoli and Cauliflower Mold
Recipe source: The Ultimate Cooking Course and Kitchen Encyclopedia
- For the cheese sauce:
- 1 1/2 lbs. broccoli, stems trimmed
- 1 1/2 lbs cauliflower, stems trimmed
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk (2% works well)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- salt and ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1/8 tsp. grated nutmeg (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Butter a 1-quart ovenproof bowl or round mold.
2. Break the broccoli into florets. Drop into a pan of boiling salted water and cook 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. Drain thoroughly, then spread on paper towels to dry.
3. Break the cauliflower into florets. Drop into a pan of boiling salted water and cook 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain thoroughly, then spread on paper towels to dry.
4. Place a cluster of cauliflower on the bottom of the prepared bowl, stems pointing inwards. Add a layer of broccoli, buds against the side and stems pointing inwards. Fill the center with smaller florets.
5. Add another layer of cauliflower florets. Finish with a layer of broccoli.
6. Cover the mold with buttered foil. Bake until the vegetables are heated through, 10-15 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, for the sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and cook 2 minutes, stirring. Stir in the milk. Cook and stir until mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Stir in the cheese until melted. Season with the nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm over very low heat.
8. Hold a warmed serving plate over the top of the bowl, turn them over together, and lift off the bowl. Serve the molded vegetables with the cheese sauce.
You'll also love
- BBQ Chicken Twice Baked Sweet... 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Stuffed Pork Loin 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Apricot Bars With Shortbread Crust 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Roasted Fennel & Prosciutto... 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Chicken Bratwurst and Onions with... 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Broccoli Velvetta Cheese Casserole 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Pasta with Cauliflower, Bacon &... 4.2/5 (32 Votes)