Broccoli Rabe & Provolone Grinders
- For White Bean Purée:
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney) beans with liquid
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground blsck pepper
- For Sandwiches:
- 4 bunches broccoli rabe (rapini, 4–5 pounds), ends trimmed
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided, plus more
- 1 head of garlic, cloves peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons (or more) fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 6–8-inch long French rolls, split lengthwise
- 8 ounces thinly sliced provolone piccante or other aged provolone cheese
- 1 Fresno chile or red jalapeño, seeded, very thinly sliced
Adapted from bonappetit.com
To Make White Bean Purée:
Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat; add garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring often, until garlic begins to turn golden, about 4 minutes. Add beans with liquid. Bring to a simmer; cook, stirring often, until liquid thickens, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a food processor; add 3 tablespoons oil. Process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
To Make Sandwiches:
Cook broccoli rabe, 1 bunch at a time, in a large pot of boiling salted water for 2 minutes (return to a boil between batches). Transfer broccoli rabe to a baking sheet; let cool. Squeeze dry; coarsely chop.
Heat a large pot over medium heat; add 1/4 cup oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring often, until garlic is fragrant and beginning to turn golden, 2–3 minutes. Add broccoli rabe; cook, stirring often, until stem pieces are just tender, 4–5 minutes. Add remaining 1/4 cup oil and 3 tablespoons lemon juice. Season with salt, pepper, and more juice, if desired. Spread out on a rimmed baking sheet and let cool. DO AHEAD: Can be made one day ahead. Cover and chill.
Arrange racks in top and bottom thirds of oven; preheat to 400°. Open rolls and arrange on 2 rimmed baking sheets. Drizzle generously with oil. Spread bean purée on one side of each roll; add broccoli rabe. Top with cheese, then chile. Toast, rotating pans after 5 minutes, until cheese is melted, 7–10 minutes. Top, slice, and serve.