Victorian Orange Peel Cake
- Orange syrup:
- Peel of 3 large oranges
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. chopped walnuts
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 T. dark rum
Grind orange peel and raisins together three times or place in food processor and chip fine.
Preheat oven to 325° Cream sugar and butter.
Add eggs and buttermilk; mix thoroughly.
Sift together flour, salt, baking soda and stir into batter. Mix in ground peel and raisins with walnuts.
Pour into well greased 9 or 10 inch springform or tube pan. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until cake tests done.
Do not use bundt pan cakes gets too brown.
Syrup: Heat orange juice, sugar and rum together until sugar is dissolved.
When cake is done let stand 10 minutes (no longer) and remove from pan.
Reinvert and slowly pour juice mix over cake.
Allow to stand overnight, or even better, several days. Store at room temperature if to be eaten in a few days; in refrigerator if longer.
Makes 8 to 10 large or 20 small servings.
You'll also love
- Cucumber Collins 4/5 (4 Votes)
- Smoked Beef Brisket Rub 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Macaroni and cheese with cream of... 4.1/5 (10 Votes)
- Applebee's Bloomin' Onion and... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Bisquick Pineapple Upside-Down Cake 3.9/5 (18 Votes)
- Key Lime Coconut Snowballs 4/5 (3 Votes)
- Lemon Almond Poppyseed Muffins 4/5 (3 Votes)
- Orange Chiffon Pie 4/5 (2 Votes)