Egyptian Tomato Soup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimientos
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice; or 1 pound fresh tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth, or 2 cups homemade chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 limes cut into wedges
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Adapted from yummly.com
In a large stockpot over medium heat, melt the butter.
Add the onion and garlic, cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
Add the pimientos and tomatoes, cover and cook gently for 10 minutes.
Add the stock, chili powder and paprika and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Using an immersion blender (or transfer to a food processor or blender), puree until almost smooth.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with fresh lime squeezed on top.