Slow Cooker Beef and Sausage Chili
- Optional Toppings:
- Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 12-16 oz Italian Sausage (mild or hot – I used mild)
- 3 cans mild chili beans (use hot if you want it spicier)
- 1- 28oz can Ro*tel
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely diced
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 6 ounces roasted red peppers chopped
- 8 strips of bacon cooked and chopped
- 1 cup beef stock or broth
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 teaspoons hot pepper sauce of your choice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Diced onion
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 490mins
Adapted from centercutcook.com
In a large skillet, drizzle a few teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil and sauté the chopped yellow onion. When the onion becomes translucent, add in the Italian sausage and ground beef and cook. Drain off excess fat.
In the pot of your slow cooker, place meat/onion mixture on the bottom. Add in Ro*Tel, beans, Tomato Paste, Celery, Garlic, Bell Pepper, Roasted Red Pepper, and chopped bacon.
Add in seasonings – chili powder, salt, black pepper, paprika sugar, oregano, cumin, basil, and cayenne pepper.
To the pot add beef stock, hot pepper sauce, and Worcestershire.
Use a large spoon to stir the ingredients so that the seasonings and veggies are incorporated throughout.
Turn the slow cooker on low and let it cook for at least 8 hours.
When ready to serve, top with your favorite garnishes including Fritos, sour cream, cheddar cheese, and diced onion.