Barley Stew with Leeks, Mushrooms & Greens
- 1 tblsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 c. chopped leeks (about 2 leeks)
- 18 oz. crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 3 tsp. fresh rosemary
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 c. pearl barley
- 4 c. vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 bunch kale (about 8 oz.) trimmed, center stalks removed & coarsley chopped (about 8 c.)
1. In a large pot, over medium heat, heat oil.
2. Add leeks, salt & pepper & saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Add mushrooms, garlic & rosemary.
4. Saute until mushrooms soften & begin to brown, about 7 minutes.
5. Add tomatoes with juice & stir 1 minute.
6. Add broth & bring to a boil.
7. Reduce heat to low, cover & simmer until barley is almost tender, about 20 minutes.
8. Add kale & stir until wilted, about 1 minute.
9. Cover & simmer until kale & garlic are tender, adding more broth if necessary, out 10 minutes.