Chilled Calamari Salad with Lemon and Parsley
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced (no stems)
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 1/2 lemons
- 1 1/4 tsp red wine vinegar
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 1 lb fresh squid, tube and tentacles cleaned
Adapted from keyingredient.com
Rinse squid and slice tubes into 1/2 inch rings. Leave the tentacles whole and set aside.
Prepare a bowl of water with ice.
In a medium bowl combine onion, garlic, celery, red peppers, parsley, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and fresh pepper.
Bring a medium pot filled with water and a pinch of salt to a boil. Add calamari all at once and cook until tender yet cooked, (I test it by tasting a ring) about 45 - 60 seconds.
Quickly drain when cooked and add to the ice bath until cool, 4 - 5 minutes.
Combine squid with the salad and toss well. Taste for salt and add additional seasoning and lemon juice if needed. Cover and refrigerate at least an hour.
Makes about 3 1/2 cups.