Fried Cabbage and Dumplings
- 1 large head cabbage, sliced and chopped into large pieces
- 1/2 Large Onion, sliced thin
- 2 Tablespoons Chicken or Pork grease (healthier version just use olive oil)
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 cups cold mashed potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons Cream of Wheat (I keep individual servings around)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups pre-sifted flour (if dough looks/feels sticky just add a bit more; or if it looks like its starting to firm up quickly add a bit less)
In large frying pan. add 1 Tablespoon grease and butter - Saute the sliced onion, set aside. Add remaining grease and butter, Saute cabbage on medium heat; cook until the volume goes down and the cabbage is cooked though. Takes a bit to cook liquids down. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
In mixer, combine all ingredients. Add flour last about 1/2 cup at a time so you can regulate when the dough becomes firm. Put sheet of wax paper down on the counter, pinch dough and roll into a 1 X 2 inch oblong dumpling and set out on piece of wax paper.
In large pot, boil water. Add dumplings and cook for 10-15 minutes.
Drain and add to cabbage pan. On low heat, slowly and gently combine the dumplings with the cabbage and reheat before serving.
Goes well as a side dish or can be eaten as a main veggie meal.