Frittata with Potato and Prosciutto
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 potato, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 ounces sliced prosciutto, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 baguette, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 47mins
1. Heat the oil in a heavy 9-1/2" diameter skillet over medium heat.
2. Add the potato, onion, and garlic.
3. Season the potato mixture with salt and pepper, to taste.
4. Saute over medium-low heat until the potato is golden and crisp on the outside, tender inside, about 7 to 10 minutes.
5. Preheat the broiler.
6. Whisk the eggs, cream, Parmesan, prosciutto, and basil in a medium bowl to blend.
7. Stir the egg mixture into the potato mixture in the skillet.
8. Cook over medium-low heat until the egg mixture is almost set but the top is still loose, about 3 minutes.
9. Place the skillet under the broiler.
10. Broil until the top is set and golden brown, about 4 minutes.
11. Using a rubber spatula, loosen the frittata from skillet and slide the frittata onto a cutting board.
12. Cut the frittata into 12 wedges.
13. Split open each bread piece.
14. Toast the bread on a grill pan until golden.
15. Butter the cut sides of the toasted bread.
16. Arrange a frittata wedge on each bottom piece of bread.
17. Cover with the bread tops and serve.