- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 1/4 cups plus 5 Tbsp whole milk
- 3 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp plus pinch kosher salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 16-oz box confectioners’ sugar
- 16 corn holders, assorted yellow and white jelly beans, 4 yellow fruit chews (such as Starburst), black and white sanding sugar, for decorating
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 125mins
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with yellow or white paper liners.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, 1 1/4 cups of the milk and 2 tsp of the vanilla.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, cornmeal, baking powder and 1/2 tsp of the salt; make a well in the center. Add the milk mixture and stir until fully incorporated.
4. Divide the batter among the muffin cups (about 1/4 cup each) and bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 22 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, make the frosting: Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat, then cook, swirling the pan until the butter begins to brown and smell nutty, 3 to 4 minutes; remove from heat.
6. Using an electric mixer, beat the browned butter, confectioners’ sugar, pinch of salt and the remaining 5 Tbsp milk and tsp vanilla until fluffy, 3 minutes.
7. To decorate: Working with 3 cupcakes at a time, frost, then arrange rows of jelly beans close together on each cupcake. Place them side by side on a plate or platter and insert the corn holders at each end so they resemble an ear of corn. Cut a fruit chew horizontally in half; flatten one half slightly and place on top of the corn to resemble a pat of butter. Sprinkle with the sanding sugars to mimic salt and pepper. Repeat with the remaining cupcakes.