Ham and Potato Chowder
- SERVINGS: 6
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 c chicken broth
- 2 c water
- 4 lg potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp celery seeds
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 2/3 c milk
- 1/2 lb fully cooked lean ham, cut into 3/4" pieces
- 6 scallions, sliced
1. HEAT the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until translucent. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually stir in the broth until well blended.
2. ADD the water, potatoes, marjoram, mustard, curry, celery seeds, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Working in batches, transfer the vegetables to a blender or food processor and process until pureed. Return to the saucepan.
3. STIR in the milk, ham, and scallions. Gently simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
NUTRITION (per serving) 173 cal