Creamy White Bean Soup with Smoked Ham Hocks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 pounds smoked ham hocks
- 1 pound dried Great Northern beans
- 2 (26-ounce) containers unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and next 4 ingredients (through garlic); cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Scrape onion mixture into a 6-quart electric slow cooker. Add hocks, beans, and stock. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or overnight.
2. Remove hocks from pan; cool slightly. Remove meat from bones; discard fat, skin, and bones. Chop meat; stir into beans. Cook 10 minutes to allow flavors to meld. Sprinkle with chives and black pepper.