Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Soup
Here's a scrumptious soup served at Dairy Keen (three-time "Best of State" winner) of Heber City, Utah. This is a recipe I've not had long, but have made over and over and OVER again. It is that good!
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced (or 1/2 Tbsp Minced Garlic)
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 1 1/2 cups freshly-grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups water
- 1 bunch broccoli (tops only, cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 3 cups boneless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 6 ounces farfelle bow tie pasta, cooked according to package directions
Adapted from food.com
* In a heavy stockpot over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic in butter for 2-3 minutes; add flour and cook, stirring, for another 2-3 minutes until bubbly; gradually whisk in chicken broth and half & half; cook, stirring frequently, until thickened.
* Meanwhile, in a separate pan, add water to broccoli and bring just to boiling (the broccoli should be only partially cooked and not soft) then remove from heat; do not drain cooking water from broccoli.
* Add parmesan cheese to soup-base in stockpot; cook over low heat, stirring, just until cheese is melted; add cooked broccoli along with its cooking water, chicken, seasonings, and bow tie pasta to the stockpot; heat through.
~NOTES: 6 ounces bow tie pasta equals 2 1/4 cups before cooking and 3 cups diced chicken breast equals 1 ½ pounds before cooking. Also, decrease the salt by half if you happen to substitute full-sodium chicken broth in this recipe.