Anginetti (Italian Lemon Drop Cookies)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from Www.recipecan.com
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a mixing bowl beat sugar, vanilla, lemon peel and 6 tablespoons of butter with an electric mixer until well blended. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue to beat for 1 minute.
3. Stir in flour and baking powder (will be a soft, sticky dough).
4. Drop by heaping teaspoon onto parchment paper-lined cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart.
5. Bake about 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Meanwhile, prepare icing by melting 1 tablespoon of butter over low heat. Add sugar, water, lemon juice and vanilla and whisk until sugar melts and mixture is heated through. Thin with more water if icing is too thick to brush.
7. Remove cookies from oven and immediately brush warm icing over hot cookies. Cool iced cookies on sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer to a rack and cool completely.