Butternut Squash Gratin
- 5 lb whole butternut squash, 1 large or 2 small
- 1 medium onion
- 1 pound white cheddar cheese, shredded coarsely (prefer goat milk)
- 2 cups heavy cream
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Peel butternut squash, cut the neck from the base, cut the base in half and seed. With a mandolin, slice all of the squash very thinly (thin enough to curl)
Peel and slice onion the same thickness as the squash
Butter a 9x13 baking dish, drizzle 1/4 cup cream on the bottom. Starting with large neck pieces start constructing layers:
1. evenly scallop squash in a layer, season with salt and pepper
2. scatter a layer of onions
3. drizzle with 1/4 cup cream
After creating two layers, scatter half the cheese over and drizzle with cream. Then depending on how much squash you have make one or two more layers as detailed above.
Pour over remaining cream and top with remaining cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 40-50 minutes, until the squash is tender enough to pierce easily. Uncover and bake 15 more minutes or until golden brown.
Once removed from the oven, let the gratin rest at least 30 minutes for the cream to absorb and layers solidify.