Shrimp and Crab Meat Alcachofas
Created by Chef Craig at St. Augustine's Columbia, this seafood and artichoke blend is served in the Pompano en Papillote and by itself as an appetizer dip.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Spanish onion, diced
- 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 1/4 cups raw shrimp, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 3/4 cup Romano cheese
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup crabmeat, claw recommended
- 1 cup artichoke hearts, chopped coarsely
Heat oil and saute onions and peppers until soft. Add shrimp and cook until pink. Add cream, oregano, pepper, salt, bread crumbs and mustard. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the cheese and add the remaining cheese to the mixture. Cook for 5 minutes. Whip eggs and fold into mixture. Add crabmeat and artichoke hearts; blend well. Remove from heat and allow to cool so mixture will thicken.
If serving as a dip, ladle mixture into ovenproof casserole and sprinkle with remaining cheese, bake in oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes and serve with crackers.