- DATE FILLING
- 1 lb chopped pitted dates
- 1 c. water
- 2/3 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1 T. cornstarch
- BASE AND TOPPING
- 1/2 c. butter
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1 1/2 c. rolled oats
1. Combine dates, water ,sugar, cornstarch and lemon in a medium saucepan, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
BASE AND TOPPING
1. In a mixing bowl cream butter, the cream in sugar.
2. In another bowl sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
3. Blend flour mixture into butter mixture.
4. Stir in rolled oats.
5. Grease an 8x8 inch square pan.
6. Press half the oat mixture into the bottom of pan.
7. Spread the cooled date mixture over the base.
8. Lightly press remaining oat mixture over dates.
9. Bake 30 minutes or til edges are lightly golden.
10. Cool in pan.