Easy Chicken Tacos
We like the convenience of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in our Easy Chicken Tacos, but they were so lean that an unsuitable cooking method guarantees they’ll wind up dry and rubbery. Poaching proved the best method, producing meat that was tender and moist. Chipotle chiles gave our poaching liquid a smoky, full-bodied flavor, and orange juice, instead of chicken broth, offered a touch of sweetness that tempered its vivid acidity.
For more robust flavor from our chicken, we called on Worcestershire sauce and mustard, two (surprising) Latin American staples. Worcestershire mimicked the complex flavor of dark meat, and mustard added sharpness that balanced the sweet orange juice and smoky chipotle.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced chipotle in adobo
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 bs chicken breasts (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 12 (6") flour tortillas
Adapted from cookscountry.com
Melt butter in large skillet over med-high heat. Add garlic and chipotle and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in orange juice, Worcestershire and ½ cup cilantro and bring to boil. Add chicken and simmer, covered, over med-low heat until meat registers 160°, 10-15 minutes, flipping chicken halfway through cooking. Transfer to plate and tent with foil.
SHRED AND SAUCE:
Increase heat to med-high and cook until liquid is reduced to ¼ cup, about 5 minutes. Off heat, whisk in mustard. Using 2 forks, shred chicken into bite-sized pieces and return to skillet. Add remaining cilantro to skillet and toss until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with tortillas.
TO WARM TORTILLAS:
Wrap them in foil and heat in a 350°F oven 15 minutes. Top tacos with shredded lettuce, grated cheese, diced avocado, tomato and sour cream.
You'll also love
- Olive Garden Stuffed Chicken... 4.2/5 (23 Votes)
- Whole BBQ Chicken 4.1/5 (42 Votes)
- Turkey Taco Spaghetti Squash Boats 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Buffalo Chicken Noodle Casserole 4.2/5 (5 Votes)
- White Bean Chicken Chili 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Ranch Chicken Enchilada Caserole 4.3/5 (22 Votes)
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole (Low... 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Chicken Thighs with Cilantro Sauce 4.4/5 (14 Votes)