Four Cheese Macaroni and Cheese
Here's a stick to you ribs version of macaroni and cheese that uses four different cheeses for maximum flavor. It's a hearty serving- well worth the indulgence.
- 1 Spray cooking spray
- 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste (for cooking pasta)
- 12 oz uncooked macaroni
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups of 1% low-fat milk
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 pieces bay leaf
- 1/4 cups blue cheese, crumbled
- 5 oz cheddar or Colby cheese, shredded (extra-sharp suggested)
- 3 oz low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 3/4 tsp table salt
- 2 oz Parmesan cheese, finely grated (Parmigiano Reggiano suggested)
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 68mins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 3-quarter casserole dish with cooking spray; set aside.
Cook macaroni i salted water as directed on package; set aside.
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Slowly add flour, stirring constantly; cook for about 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk to thoroughly incorporate flour mixture. Stir in onion, paprika and bay leaf. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently; remove from heat.
Combine blue cheese with about two-thirds of both types of cheddar cheese in saucepan and season to taste with salt and pepper; stir in macaroni. Pour half of macaroni mixture into prepared casserole dish and top with remaining cheddar cheeses. Pour in remaining macaroni mixture and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese; bake for 30 minutes. Let stand for about 5 to 10 minutes before slicing into 9 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.