Vegetable Beef Barley Soup
- 1 lb. beef roast
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves, garlic, minced
- 1 container (32 oz.) beef broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 qt. water
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 carrots, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 tsp. each dried oregano, thyme and basil
- 1/2 cup uncooked barley
- 1 cup frozen peas
Trim fat from roast and cut into 1 inch cubes. Place meat in a large pot over medium heat with oil, onion and garlic and cook, stirring until meat is browned and onion is tender.
Add broth, tomatoes, water, bay leaves, carrots, potatoes and mushrooms. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour.
Add oregano, thyme, basil and barley and bring to a boil. Reduced heat, add peas, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.