Shrimp Christmas Tree Appetizer
Serve your Shrimp appetizer in a different way this Christmas. Here is how you do it.
- Supplies Needed:
- Styrofoam Cone (available at Craft stores)
- Plastic Wrap
- Floral Pins (available at Craft stores, they look like long staples)
- Star Pick for the top (available at Craft stores)
- 2-12 oz bags of Shrimp, 61-70 count cooked, shells removed
- 6 -Lemons
- 1 basket/container Grape Tomatoes
- 2-Heads Green Leaf Lettuce
- 1 -Block of Cheese (I used Monteray Jack) Cut into small cubes
Adapted from hotdishhomemaker.com
1. First Squeeze 2 fresh Lemons over the cooked and cooled Shrimp. Let them sit in the Lemon Juice while assembling the first part of your tree.
2. Wrap the plastic wrap around the Styrofoam cone to cover the foam completely. Make sure it is wrapped tight and get it as smooth as you can.
3. Remove the leaves from your Green Leaf Lettuce Head. This is going to be the green leafy background for your tree. Working with one Lettuce Leaf at a time starting on the bottom edge, lay one leaf on the tree with the curly edge toward the bottom. Use a floral pin or two to hold the lettuce leaf in place. Now work your way around the bottom edge overlapping the lettuce leaves so you do not see the Styrofoam cone. Work your way up the cone creating layers,until you reach the top.
4. Now comes time to attach the Shrimp, Tomatoes, and the Cheese.
5. First drain the Shrimp, and begin attaching it to the tree. Simply insert a toothpick about halfway into the tree cone then put a Shrimp on the toothpick with the tail side out and pointed down. Attach the Tomatoes and Cheese in the same fashion, alternating Tomatoes and Cheese cubes with the Shrimp, as you go around the tree.
6. For the top insert the Star pick.
7. Slice the remaining Lemons into wedges and lay them around the bottom of the tree. Serve with Crackers and Cocktail sauce.