Quinoa Shrimp Fried Rice
A healthy and delicious take on 'fried rice' using quinoa with shrimp, peas, carrots, shelled edamame, green onions and cilantro.
- 1 cup white quinoa
- 12 ounces medium (51 to 60) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- Salt, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots blend
- 1/2 cup shelled edamame
- 3/4 cup green onions, chopped (about 4 stalks)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, peeled and finely minced
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from cookingclassy.com
Preferably the day before preparing this dish cook quinoa according to directions on package in 2 cups water. Chill in an airtight container in refrigerator until ready to use. The quinoa can also be cooked just before preparing the recipe, just drain off any excess liquid.
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a 12-inch (fairly deep) non-stick skillet or non-stick wok over medium-high heat. Add shrimp, season lightly with salt and cook, tossing occasionally until shrimp are opaque and just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a plate.
Add another 2 teaspoons oil to skillet. Add peas and carrots, edamame, green onions, garlic and ginger and saute 3 minutes. Push veggies over to one side of the pan. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to opposite side of the pan. Add in eggs and cook and scramble until they are just set (but are still slightly runny).
Add quinoa and shrimp to skillet. Drizzle in soy sauce, mirin and sesame oil. Cook and toss until liquid has evaporated, about 2 to 3 minutes. Toss in cilantro and serve warm.
You'll also love
- Cheese Straws 4.1/5 (7 Votes)
- Lemon Blueberry Pound Cake Recipe... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Amish Fried Apple Pies 3.3/5 (13 Votes)
- Triple Chocolate Banana Bread 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Crock Pot Tuna Casserole 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Chicken Scaloppini Marsala with... 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Low-Carb Pesto Chicken & Veggie... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Garlic Butter Sauteed Clams 4.1/5 (8 Votes)