Beef Barley Soup
Nothing beats a rich, flavorful beef and barley soup to warm you up when it's cold. This simple, hearty recipe is easy to scale up.
- 1 pound boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced carrot
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons fat-free, less-sodium beef base
- 8 to 10 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic
Brown beef in non-stick fry pan until browned, stirring frequently.
Remove beef from pan and place in crockpot, Add carrot, celery, onion, and mushrooms, beef base, water, garlic and bay leaf.
Cook on high heat for one hour, add pearl barley then turn down to low and cook till vegetables and beef are tender.
Stir in salt and pepper. Discard bay leaf.
You'll also love
- Mango Lassi 4.6/5 (36 Votes)
- Lemon Curd in an Instant Pot 4.3/5 (58 Votes)
- Bacon Broccoli Salad with Raisins... 4.7/5 (26 Votes)
- Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Stuffed with... 4.5/5 (45 Votes)
- Beef Enchiladas with Sour Cream... 4.1/5 (76 Votes)
- Vegetable Barley Soup 4.4/5 (50 Votes)
- Beef and Barley Soup (Slow Cooker) 4.5/5 (35 Votes)