Herbed Oven-Browned Potatoes
- 1/4 pound boiling potatoes (2 to 3 medium)
- 1 tablespoon mixed chopped fresh herbs such as thyme, rosemary, and/or oregano or 1 teaspoon mixed dried herbs, crumbled
- 1 garlic clove, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Cut potatoes into 1/4 inch-thick slices and in a saucepan of boiling salted water cook 5 minutes, or until just cooked through. Drain potatoes well in a sieve and transfer to a 6 cup gratin dish (1 1/2) quart) or other shallow baking dish, 11x8x2. Toss potatoes immediately with remaining ingredients and pepper and salt to taste and bake in upped third of oven 20 minutes, or until potatoes are pale golden.