White Cheddar Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Prep 15 minutes cook 20 minutes
Each 1/2 cup serving: 213 calories, 15 g fat, 29 mg chol, 192 mg sodium, 17g carb, 3 g fiber, 3 g pro
- 2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup half and half or light cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 oz white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp. snipped fresh sage
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 2 medium cooking apples, cored and sliced
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 whole sage leaves
1. In a large saucepan cook potatoes in lightly salted boiling water, covered, 15 minutes or until tender; drain. Return to saucepan. Add half and half and butter. Mash potatoes with a potato masher until smooth. Stir in cheese, snipped sage, salt, and pepper.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook apples in butter over medium heat 7 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet. Cover; keep warm.
3. In the same skillet heat olive oil over medium heat. Fry sage leaves for 30 to 60 seconds or until crisp; drain.
4. To serve, transfer potato mixture to a serving bowl. Top with apple mixture and fried sage leaves. Makes 8 servings plus leftovers.
Make ahead: Prepare as above through Step 1. Transfer potato mixture to a storage container. Cover and chill up to 24 hours. Transfer mixture to a large saucepan; heat through. Continue with Step 2.