Beer-Battered Baja-Style Cauliflower Tacos Recipe
I made this as tacos but it works without tortillas as well as it is very filling.
- Beer Batter:
- Half head of cauliflower (cut vertically into slices–do so carefully that the stems are not cut because you want to make sure the pieces stay in tact).
- corn tortillas
- red cabbage
- beer batter* (recipe below)
- Cilantro Lime sauce* (recipe below)
- cilantro (for garnish)
- lime wedges
- schiracha sauce for topping
- 1 Tb egg replacer + 2 Tbs warm water, allow to sit for 5-7 minutes until thick
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1/3 c. corn starch
- 1/3 c. beer
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
Adapted from forkandbeans.com
For beer battered cauliflower-
Combine flour, cornstarch, chili powder and paprika–whisk until well-blended.
Combine egg replacer, oil and beer into the dry ingredients. Mix until smooth. Batter should be thick but not too thick where it cannot be mixed with resistance. Think thick waffle batter.
Heat a medium skillet with 1/2 c. oil. Allow to heat thoroughly (very important).
Gently dip each piece of cauliflower into batter and place into the skillet. Fry agood 2-3 minutes on each side or until nicely browned.
Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with salt to season.
For cilantro lime sauce-
Throw cashews, lime juice and zest, garlic, and water into a high-speed blender until smooth. Add more water in order to reach desired consistency.
Add seasonings and blend.
Add cilantro in last and shortly blend until chopped but not fully blended.
Pour over tacos.