Macaroni Pie Recipe (Barbados)
- 8 oz/250g macaroni(preferably long tubes as opposed to typical American macaroni)
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 12 oz/375g sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 1 cup 8floz/240ml milk
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon hot English mustard
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper sauce or cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fine breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese
Bring water to the boil and add the broken up macaroni or macaroni elbows and salt. Boil it uncovered until it is just tender but not overcooked (about 8 minutes).
Preheat a moderately hot oven 350F, 180C or Gas Mark 4.
Drain the macaroni thoroughly, put it back into the same hot saucepan it was cooked in and mix in the butter.
Grate the cheese and mix it in with the macaroni a bit at a time, while it is still warm.
Whisk the egg until fluffy and add the milk, onion powder, white pepper, salt, pepper sauce and mustard. Pour in with the macaroni and mix.
Place in a greased oven proof casserole dish. Top with a little butter, some grated cheese and fine breadcrumbs. Bake in the centre of the oven for about 30-45 minutes depending on the depth of the dish.