Black Bean - Salsa Chili
The bacon and black bean make this a unique and wonderful chili.
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed, drained, and divided
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3 sweet hickory-smoked bacon slices, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups mild salsa
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 55mins
1. Combine 1 1/2 cups beans, 2/3 cup water, and sugar in a food processor; process until smooth. Combine bean puree and remaining beans in a bowl.
2. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add turkey; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove turkey from pan.
3. Add onion, bell peppers, and bacon to pan; cook 5 minutes or until bacon and onion are lightly browned. Return turkey to pan. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, and crushed red pepper to pan; stir well to coat. Stir in bean mixture, salsa, tomato paste, and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Combine sour cream, cilantro, and juice in a small bowl. Serve chili with sour cream mixture.
6.2g (sat 2.6g,mono 1.9g,poly 1.2g)