Swedish Apple and Almond Cake
- 110g110g butter plus extra for greasing
- 150g150g soft light brown sugar
- 2large2 large free range eggs
- 210g210g plain flour, sifted
- 1tbsp1tbsp baking powder
- pinchpinch of salt
- 1tsp1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2tsp2 tsp ground cardamom
- 300g300g peeled, cored and sliced cooking apple (Shouldn’t be more than one large one)
- 50g50g flaked almonds
- 3tbsp3 tbsp apple or apricot jam
Adapted from donalskehan.com
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, grease and line a 20cm cake tin with a removable base.
2. With an electric hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until pale.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing until they are incorporated.
4. Fold through the flour, baking powder, salt, cardamom and cinnamon until you have a thick cake batter.
5. Stir through the apple and pour the batter into the cake tin.
6. The batter will be thick, so use a spatula to spread across the base of the tin.
7. Spread the almonds of top of the cake and bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes. Cover with tin foil if the almonds brown too much.
8. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
9. As the cake is cooling, heat the jam in a saucepan until runny and brush over top of the cake.