Abraham Lincolns Favorite French Almond Cake
- 4large4 large eggs, separated
- 11⁄2 cup granulated sugar, pulverized
- 33⁄4 tsp pure almond extract
- 11⁄4 tsp pure lemon extract
- 3oz3 oz blanched slivered almonds, finely crushed or chopped into 1⁄16-inch pieces
- 11⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, sifted 3 times
Adapted from parade.com
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a deep, large (3-quart) bowl beat egg whites until they stand in stiff peaks, then set aside.
3. In a second large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg yolks until they are thick and have turned into a light yellow color. This could take as long as 5 minutes.
4. With the mixer running, begin adding the sugar about a tablespoon at a time. Continue beating until the sugar is fully incorporated and the batter is thick.
5. Stir in the almond and lemon extracts and then the almonds.
6. Stir in the flour.
7. With a flexible rubber spatula, fold about one-third of the beaten egg whites into the egg yolk batter to lighten it up. Then gently fold this lightened batter into the remaining egg whites.
8. Pour the batter into an ungreased tube pan.
9. Bake until the cake is firm and lightly browned on top, about 25 to 30 minutes.
10. Invert the pan over a bottle to cool completely before removing the cake from the pan.
You'll also love
- Almond Cake (Scandinavian) 0/5 (0 Votes)